Hi, Marko,

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Marko Rodriguez <okramma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There has been positive pressure on us (both
> internally and externally) to move TinkerPop to The Apache Foundation.

While skimming the Incubator's commits list this morning, I saw some that some
changes had been made to the "Initial Contributors" and "Affiliations"
sections of the TinkerPop proposal which were worthy of note.  While
there are 25 individuals listed under "Affiliations", the "Initial Committers"
section now lists only three people and raises the issue of "voting rights":

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TinkerPopProposal?action=recall&rev=14#AA._Initial_Committers

    AA. Initial Committers

    We would like to keep the voting rights to 3 individuals: Marko A.
    Rodriguez (Aurelius), Stephen Mallette (Nidomics), and James Thornton
    (Electric Speed).

Starting with a small, coherent group makes sense, but please be aware that it
will be a continuing task for TinkerPop to expand.

Regardless of how many people have "voting rights" when entering incubation,
over the long term, a fundamental characteristic of Apache projects is theat
they are are governed by their contributors.  It is expected that individuals
who make sustained, major project contributions will ultimately be rewarded
with a real governance stake in the form of an invitation to join the Project
Management Committee (PMC).  In order to graduate from the Incubator, podlings
must demonstrate that they are open to bringing in new people; after
graduation, the Apache Board of Directors oversees our "top-level projects"
("TLPs") and ensures that they continue to remain open.

The fact that open governance is a requirement enforced by the Foundation's
institutions is an essential aspect of the Apache brand, giving individuals
and companies who sponsor developers confidence about investing resources in
Apache projects.  Project founders who bring their projects here trade away a
certain amount of privilege in order to obtain the benefits of increased
contributor investment.

Additional background:

    https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Hope this helps,