On Thu, Mar 26, 2015, at 01:31 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> I think we are going a bit too far here.
>
> Groovy has been under the AL 2.0 license since it moves from BSD (back
> in 2003). AL 2.0 says :
>
> " Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor
> hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge,
> royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare
> Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and
> distribute the Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form."
>
> My understanding is that any groovy contributor, including the 5 initial
> commiters, can grant the existing code base to The ASF, per the AL 2.0
> license.

My IANAL take:

Almost, but not quite :-) No granting is required. The AL2.0 is a
license that allows the ASF to do with it what it wants to do.

Only the owner of the code can “grant” additional privileges. As we’ve
noted, that’s an unclear thing. No-one has the right to speak on behalf
of the many contributors to the original codebase without asking their
permission first. Fortunately, we don’t need to do that :-) We can just
import the code.

Upayavira