This seems like an appropriate thread to raise a question that’s been in the
back of my head for a while…

If a new project is created on github (or elsewhere — i.e. outside of the ASF),
but with the intention that it would be contributed to an existing ASF project
(ALv2 license from day 1), would a Software Grant and/or IP clearance be
required?

Put another way, what are the best practices to follow when creating a new
project, outside the ASF, with the goal of eventually contributing that work to
an existing ASF project?

The documentation for the IP clearance template [1] states:

"Any code that was developed outside of the ASF SVN repository must be
processed like this, even if the external developer is an ASF committer.”

To me that sounds like any new module, or even a sufficiently large pull
request, requires IP clearance. If that’s the case, I would expect the
clearance document list [2] to be much longer than it is, and have more ASF
projects represented there, especially some of the faster growing ones.

-Taylor

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html