On 2015-11-10 23:59, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Ate Douma <a...@douma.nu> wrote:
On 2015-11-09 18:12, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

Incubator PMC report for November 2015

* Ready to graduate

    - AsterixDB

While IMO AsterixDB is doing great, it is not yet considering graduation so
I think it shouldn't be listed as such.

Ate (AsterixDB mentor)

Thanks for the review, Ate!

Podlings tend to progress linearly through 4 stages:

1. Getting started
2. No incubating release
3. Community growth
4. Ready to graduate

Although AsterixDB's report did not communicate that they were ready
to graduate, they've put out a release and they didn't mention needing
to grow the community as a challenge. Here are their "three issues to
address prior to graduation":

   1. Do an Apache release that can also provide binary artifacts with
      correct LICENSEs and NOTICEs.
   2.
   3.

Feel free to invent a custom category that describes where AsterixDB
is at. Otherwise, "Community growth" is a bit of a catch-all -- so if
there's not any other obvious choice we can put them there.

Hi Marvin,

I see how you got to your assessment and I think from the outside that makes sense :)

In this case, their first challenge clearly indicates making a next release with also providing convenience binary artifacts is seen as the next hurdle to take. It is true AsterixDB already put out two releases, but those were source only releases.
And the AsterixDB team is well aware that next hurdle isn't going to be so easy.
So I would personally place them still at stage 2 for now.

Community growth, while not stated in this report (and probably an oversight from us mentors not requesting them to do so) also needs some further development. Although I don't see or expect that to be problematic either, just needs a little bit more time. The community is quite vibrant.

At any rate, I think they are in fine shape, just need a bit more time before they should start focusing on graduation, that's all.

Regards,
Ate

Marvin Humphrey