My suggestion would be to work on building community first.

Not pulling in new committers and PMC members is evidence of a serious
community bug. It could be lack of marketing, unfriendly natives,
cliquishness or an idea that just doesn't have legs. Probably it is
something I didn't think of.

In any case, it would be a really good idea for the current community to
show that they can deal with this problem so we don't wind up with a
top-level project that doesn't work.

Also, even though I have no idea if it is a reasonable outcome, you should
always explore the question of where the overhead of a top-level Apache
project is even the appropriate outcome. Such a self-examination is always
a bit hard and can be very emotionally overloaded, but it is important to
stop for a moment to consider what the best outcome for the project, the
users of the project and the members of the project really is. For some
projects, graduation as a small TLP is right. For somewhat more projects,
transition to a non-Apache project structure is right.

In most cases, however, it really is best to slog a bit longer and get good
at building up the community.