On 25.09.2016 08:59, John McDonnell wrote:
[...]
I have contributed defect fixes for JClouds in the past, and from what
I see on this project is that there's an GitHub repo that allows
people to contribute PR's, but theres also a ASF repo, which the
contributors actually merge in the PRs from GitHub into the "hidden"
ASF repo...   Is this how every ASF project runs? and is this how
Apache Netbeans would run? Because if so, do you want to give a wide
list of committers initially?

In the end this is a decision of the project. The ASF has some constraints though. So currently the git repo is at apache, the github one is a mirror. You can still make pull request, but they have to be merged to the ASF repo instead of github. To merge you have to have commit rights at the ASF of course. Why you would want a small list of committers because of that escapes me though. Of course there is a trust kevel involved, but Apache is all about being open (for me)

I would have thought it would make sense to keep the number to a group
of trusted people that Netbeans/GJ trust up front to commit PRs into
the main repo, and to make short term decisions.  Then if a
developer/contributor shows themselves to be a useful part of the
community then you can quickly vote to change their status...

Well, to avoid bad blood anyone how contributed in the past reasonably and wants to be on the list should be considered. Once you started incubation things can be done like you describe - or different - really depends on the project

bye Jochen