On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:

> Just to make sure that my argument is clearly stated let me make two points
> very, very explicitly:
>    1. I would expect the folks bringing NetBeans to ASF Incubator to have
> had
>     spent reasonable amount of time trying to contact anybody who may feel
> like
>     their level of contributions to NetBeans (past or present) could
> qualify them
>     to be on that list. Contacting doesn't mean they should be
> automatically added
>     to that list, but rather:
>           1.1. made aware what is going to happen to NetBeans soon
>           1.2. given a chance to request being added to the list (like
> we already saw
>                  somebody did on this very thread)
>
>     2. Precisely because #1 is super time consuming and can't be fool
> proof, we need
>     to make sure that the expectation going in is that anybody who was
> missed as part
>     of outreach described above will be given special considerations
> once the project
>     enters incubation.
>
> That's it. In fact, I'd rather see #1 and #2 be made part of the
> proposal (you don't
> have to write a thesis -- just a few paragraph) before I will feel
> comfortable about
> casting my vote.

For #1, we contacted a number of different communities around NetBeans to
ask for individual contributors: (1) individuals and organizations within
Oracle who are invested in NetBeans, (2) individuals and organizations who
have built applications on top of the NetBeans Platform and NetBeans IDE,
(3) the NetBeans Dream Team, which is a community of NetBeans enthusiasts
around the world who don't work for Oracle yet advocate NetBeans to their
communities as a free and open source development environment, tooling
platform, and application framework, (4) a subset of the individual
contributors of plugins, published at plugins.netbeans.org, (5) the
NetBeans Platform mailing list, which is where potential individual
contributors with NetBeans API knowledge are found.

We have also talked about this a lot and actively last week at JavaOne and
at NetBeans Day. We have tweeted about it. There have been discussions on
internal and external mailing lists.

What can still be done -- track down ex-NetBeans developers who used to
work at Sun or Oracle. Some of these have already been contacted, though
not all of them yet. It's also a question of identifying who these are,
i.e., we don't have a list of these somewhere, we need to recall who worked
with us in the past and contact them on a case by case basis. Something
else that can be done is to contact the NetBeans users mailing list. We
have already done the latter in terms of informing them about the Apache
plans, we have not yet actively asked people to volunteer to be individual
contributors from the NetBeans users mailing list -- I propose we wait to
do that until a bit later because we could end up with literally 100's of
individual contributors if we do that and it might be advisable to keep te
list down to something semi manageable, which is what we have now.

For everyone in the NetBeans community, all this is quite new, the Apache
process, etc. We'll take it step by step. Once we're in incubation, and
we've set up the Wiki, and the mailing lists, we can take the next steps of
appealing more broadly for individual contributors, who we will then vote
in. I'm concerned that the longer we make the initial contributors list and
the more we add to it, the more insulted someone might feel for having been
omitted. :-)

All the above info can be added to the proposal, if this is desirable,
though the long list of individual contributors already there should be
evidence enough in itself that we're working hard on being inclusive and
getting broad involvement in this project.

Thanks,

Gj