John,

Will try to respond in line.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 2:59 AM John McDonnell <mcdonnell.j...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am a netbeans user that has been following this thread since the
> proposal was announced and I am a little fascinated with this whole
> process, it seems rather interesting...
>
> Although this initial committer list seems to be a sticking point, but
> from reading this page:
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#committers I'm not
> sure why it is...

Maybe review this line
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-initial-committers to
get a better understanding about why this list is critical.

> I have contributed defect fixes for JClouds in the past, and from what
> I see on this project is that there's an GitHub repo that allows
> people to contribute PR's, but theres also a ASF repo, which the
> contributors actually merge in the PRs from GitHub into the "hidden"
> ASF repo...   Is this how every ASF project runs? and is this how
> Apache Netbeans would run?  Because if so, do you want to give a wide
> list of committers initially?

Why do you use "hidden" here to describe the repo?  The github mirrors are
just that - mirrors.  Committers have write access to the ASF repos at
http://git.apache.org/ .  Those changes are then sync'd back to github.

> I would have thought it would make sense to keep the number to a group
> of trusted people that Netbeans/GJ trust up front to commit PRs into
> the main repo, and to make short term decisions.  Then if a
> developer/contributor shows themselves to be a useful part of the
> community then you can quickly vote to change their status...

It is.  So the concern I raised to Geertjan was that he had committers
listed who had never committed to Netbeans previously, but was excluding
people who used to commit to Netbeans.  In both of these cases, there is an
intent to continue to contribute (or resume contributing), which is part of
the vendor-neutral mentality the ASF brings (and is ultimately what the
Netbeans community is after).  Realistically, those who used to contribute
will know the code base better than those who are just coming in, to be
able to help guide new contributors on what to look out for.