John D. Ament wrote on 8/10/17 7:50 AM:
> Just curious, but how do we know which marks the ASF actually owns?  Rat
> isn't a TLP so I'm a bit surprised we own "Apache Rat", or is it simply
> implicit?

We claim that all Apache software *product* names are ASF trademarks:

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/list/

In the US, once you are publicly offering a product using a consistent
name/logo, you can claim it as your trademark, no paperwork needed.  The
most important things are to have a consistent name, and to put the ™
symbol up or otherwise let the world know you claim it as a trademark.

Most projects are common law trademarks, which you can just claim as
your marks by doing so.  Some projects have registered (or applied-for)
trademarks, which give us far more rights but takes months of waiting
for the application process (and requires the PMC to ask).

As for "owns", that's a question that needs more clarification.  We
claim project names as our trademarks - so we own them.  But common law
trademarks have limited rights of control.  Trademarks only apply in
similar classes or kinds of goods, so saying "Apache Rat™" doesn't mean
that we could prevent everyone from having a software product called Rat
- only that they can't have a Rat software that would *be likely to
confuse users as to the source of the product*.

Does that make sense?

- Shane