Hi Greg,

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 6:15 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Acts of the Foundation require specific oversight of the IPMC. To establish
> that "act", we have the (3) +1 vote rule of IPMC members. The IPMC cannot
> delegate this power further, as each IPMC member is specifically empowered
> by the Board. So PPMC members cannot act for the Foundation since they
> haven't been empowered by the Board.
>
> Again, the above is premised on *needing* that particular empowerment. If
> podling releases are no longer required to be official, then quite a bit
> can be changed.

I believe that this would be a disaster. I choose this word carefully.

In your proposal, would podlings' bad releases use the official Apache
distribution mechanisms? dist.apache.org, signatures, checksums and the mirror
systems and KEYS and such?

If so, then we need to modify Apache policy since forever, that in order to be
An Act Of The Foundation, a board-delegated authority (currently the IPMC) must
vote and approve the release.

If not, then we are teaching podlings nothing about official Apache Releases.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
c...@apache.org <mailto:c...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo