I think we have had projects "leave", back in the day, before we were
structured like this. But thinking about a example, maybe they were
sub-projects.

It's worth noting that anyone is free to fork an Apache licenced project at
any time, so there is some protection should the founders which to leave
the foundation with their code. Trademarks would be different.

D.