Hi Justin, Thank you for the prompt reply. The questions were raised by a
project who is interested in donating to ASF and joining the Incubator. I think
they'd want to know about entering and exiting options and flexibility in case
they feel not fitting. I will explore more later.

Best regards,

Ted Liu,
ASF Member & Sponsor Ambassador

  2019 年 3 月 5 日周二 14:27,Justin Mclean<jus...@classsoftware.com> 写道:
Hi,

Is there a specific reason you ask this?

> 1. In the incubation period, because of some special matters, is it also
> entitled to voluntarily withdraw?

Yes it usually called retiring (although podling don’t really retire) , but
some projects live on elsewhere (like GitHub). The existing ALv2 would need to
be honoured and the project may need to change it name from the Apache one, but
it may not have to. See for example ODF Toolkit.

> 2. After becoming a TLP, can this TLP still have the right to voluntarily
> withdraw?

An Apache project can be retired to the Attic. [1] After this development could
possibly occur elsewhere, but there may be naming and trademark issues to
consider.

I would assume if a project asked the board to no longer be an Apache project /
podling they would consider it and probably wouldn’t want to keep a project
here against it’s will. I can’t recall this ever happening.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://attic.apache.org/process.html