<bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:

    > On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
    >> ...prepping the existing community regarding what "moving to the ASF
means" is the job of the Champion, no?...

    > I agree but it has to be based on written docs, not oral tradition as
    > that does not scale.

    Of course... but lack of it being on written docs does not make it invalid
nor not policy.

Just trying to follow these threads, it isn't clear there is agreement, even
among the "old-timers", as to what the invariants really are whether written or
oral.

For example, I'm a bit surprised that none of the old-timers disagreed that
there is an Apache Culture and that incubation is about assimilating into that
culture.  I thought I read many times on various ASF lists that the ASF is
comprised of many projects each with their own culture.  And that the only
common ground is a "Way" not a "Culture".  But then various folks try to define
the "Apache Way" and other folks disagree with their definition.

At least in the US, there are many places where the residents have formed or
retained their own culture.  Folks immigrating to the US are not required to
assimilate into any particular aspect of US culture.  They are only asked to
obey certain laws.  And even then, the strictness of law enforcement is
somewhat influenced by the local culture and context.

What really are the invariants at the ASF that require strict inflexible
immediate enforcement?  I think there are really only a relatively small number
of them:

1) No closed source in a release
2) No CatX in a release
3) No corporation owns decision making
4) Majority vote on releases
5) No advertising the general availability of non-releases.
6) A protocol for handling security issues.
7) ASF does not pay developers
8) Don't violate US Non-Profit rules

A podling could be granted more flexibility around #2 and #5 with the
additional requirement of DISCLAIMER and -incubating labels.

Could everything else really be seen as goals for a community?  Then it would
be "Community over Code and Policy except these 8 things".

My 2 cents,
-Alex