> On Jun 18, 2019, at 4:42 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> ...prepping the existing community regarding what "moving to the ASF means"
>> is the job of the Champion, no?...
>
> I agree but it has to be based on written docs, not oral tradition as
> that does not scale.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/cookbook/#does_our_project_fit_the_apache_incubator
> does address this at least partly, IMO.

There has not been much traction on the cookbook changes that you started.

(1) I think a refocus on the cookbook would be helpful.

As part of the Cookbook update we should make sure of the main points of the
Apache Way / Culture / minimums are documented. Alex’s list else thread is as
good a start as any.

(2) Thanks for linking to the Board thread from February. There is some support
there for allowing Podling Releases to entirely PPMC based assuming there is
enough Mentor engagement.

Advantages included:
- Keeps Releases in the Community. Provided they meet minimums.
- Avoids the need for “heroics” from those who review 100s of releases.

Disadvantages might include:
- Initial Podling Releases cannot be wholly under the "legal shield" depending
on how that is interpreted.
- Some think that Release issues won’t be handled until just before graduation.

I propose that the IPMC comfirms an updated policy that we expect that
Podling’s Apache Releases initially conform to a minimum that includes a
DISCLAIMER that is invariant aside from the podling name, and fits Apache
Distribution Policy plus including “-incubator” or “-incubating” in the
filenames of all artifacts except the KEYS.

Before graduation each of the podling’s released products must be confirmed by
their Mentors to conform to Apache Release Policy. If there are not enough
active Mentors then the podling should (a) request additional mentors and/or
(b) request a review on general@. Such a review should not be during the
release of a version of the product. If the Mentors have any concerns or
questions then they can request the review from general@ themselves.

(3) Does anyone have a sense about how many retired podlings where failure to
incubate was due to release problems? And, if so can that be differentiated
from other community issues?

(4) Convenience Binary releases need careful discussion in another thread since
these are ever evolving as new packaging and container technology is under
continual development. I think that this is another thread that should be
pursued after we settle on Podling Release Policy.

Regards,
Dave