Apologies for replying twice in a row to the thread.

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Alex, Jim, Bertrand,
>
> This discussion is re-inventing a discussion that has been had before. At
> one time, the incubator tried to present principles to incoming podling
> (albeit not in a very well documented fashion). The reaction was that
> podlings strongly wanted specifics, not general principles. The idea of "no
> category x" worked, but things like "no downstream constraints" were a bit
> too vague. And some mostly kind of sort of accepted Apache ideas like votes
> should mostly be used to record consensus rather than make decisions are
> definitely too vague.
>
> OK. So we learned that lesson. And the maturity model was created. And
> documentation was done.
>
> One very clear sub-lesson is the unwritten rules really don't work when
> there are a large number of new people. Peoples' understanding changes or
> varies even when there is apparent consensus. Unwritten rules are also just
> not visible enough and can't be passed from one newbie to another.
>
> And here we are. Folks are now saying that we need to be a lot looser. That
> there is a lot of leeway in how projects interpret the traditions we have.
> That we should just specify abstract invariants.
>
> A lot of that involves some good ideas. But we need to not just circle back
> to the exact same place we started.
>
> We can damp the pendulum a bit by the following going to a middle ground:
>
> 1) *Add* the abstract principles (aka invariants) to an introduction to our
> documentation.

We can use the cookbook that Bertrand started.

> 2) Use the maturity model. But add a statement that a project could
> negotiate an alternative maturity model during incubation as long as the
> IPMC agrees and it meets the invariants.

I was once a doubter, but I’ve come around. +1

> 3) allow some non-conforming podling releases with special approvals.

See my other email just posted in this thread. I don’t think we need special
approvals if we have Mentors guiding the podling towards conformance which we
all agree is the final goal. If the podling has issues that need exceptions to
the Release Policy then the Mentors should guide them to legal-discuss@ and
note any decisions.

Regards,
Dave