FWIW I rejected an incubator proposal before they submitted it formally in
the past weeks with the suggestion to run an open-source community first as
Sheng & Ming suggested above.

This is never permanent. And often, a healthy project takes a few months to
determine whether entering the incubator is a good idea. All the projects I
mentored (Kvrocks, StreamPark, and OpenDAL) have been running a community
for one to two years outside the incubator.

Be aware that it's not a hard requirement, but the understanding of
"entering the incubator" is the concern.

> There is no magic in the Apache incubator. Don't expect the incubator
will make your project international and successful

I read this sentence as a reply to the following understanding:

>> The user interface currently only has Chinese, and the
internationalization of the page requires a longer time to iterate, but we
will complete the transformation of this function in the early stage of
incubation;
>> We have checked in advance, and we hope to do the replacement and
upgrade during the future incubation period.
>>> Our project is open and is willing to cooperate with the Apache
Incubator community, mentors, and other relevant parties to resolve
potential license issues.

The mission of Incubator is[1]:

> It helps those incoming projects (called "podlings") adopt the Apache
style of governance and operation and guides them to the ASF services
available to our projects so they can become top-level ASF projects
("TLPs").

... and according to the answer of "Does our project fit the Apache
Incubator?"[2]:

> To give our "podlings" (incubating projects) the best chances of success,
we usually ask them to enter the Incubator with at least the start of a
community built around an existing codebase.

So the Incubator doesn't help in "create" the community, but help in shape
the community following the Apache style of governance and operation.

Best,
tison.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/
[2]