At 12:40  10/3/01 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I have to side a little with Peter Donald on this, if you are serious about
>> achieving this goal, then it is better to work with an existing project
that
>> is attempting to achieve some of the same goals.
>
>I would agree 100%, because of the benefits of community, but it's not
>clear to me what the Avalon goals are.

Long story short - in my opinion (ie perhaps not all of Avalon groups) is
that whatever you want to do that fits under the charter is something you
are free to do ;) The way it is now is basically a result of the base work
Fede/Pier/Stefano put down when originally architecturing the project. You
think there is a better way of doing it then feel free to ask for access
and hack away. If successful it will live - if not it may help improve
other sections - so there is win-win ;)

>Maybe - but you can see the kind of things people are proposing we go
>get (like asking if Poolman wants to be contributed) or things that
>people are proposing be pushed into here, like the 'web connector'
>subproject, and org.apache.tools.tar and org.apache.tools.mail from Ant
>(I think).

I suspect CJAN will be the main distribution point of all products in the
future. In Ant2 I suspect each "group/jar" of tasks will be a separate CJAN
entry while all the different utility components from other projects will
be "productised" and spat out. This is just my opinion based on what people
have bene saying though ;) (It also assumes publishing is easy).

>So we seem to be attracting code bases already, may go out and solicit
>existing ones from outside of Jakarta - if the value we add is to make
>them easy to find, document them well, and be a community that supports
>them *for their own sake*, then I think there is significant added
>value.

Natural selection will take care of that - the best will get high "karma"
ratings or whatever we implement for CJAN (some indication of how many
projects/members use/vote-for component etc). So good packages will bubble
to the top leaving behind all the crappy sediment ;)

Cheers,

Pete