At 07:39 02.01.2002 +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is not something that should have been brought up on the PMC list - it
>should be discussed on general.

Peter I do not need your permission to bring up a subject on the PMC
list. It was uncourteous of you to forward my message to the general
list without permission. If you had read my proposal carefully you
would have seen that my proposal was to reach agreement on the PMC
list first and than consult with the wider jakarta community.

>On Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:28, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>> Conventions are a matter of taste and habit.
>
>Some are and some are designed to force programmers to implement things in
>particular ways and indirectly force good programming habits.
>
>> Each subproject can
>> indeed adopt and publish a convention of its own. However, most
>> projects with the exception of Turbine and Velocity did not publish
>> conventions. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)
>
>Avalon has one ... based on an earlier version of Turbines.
>
>> I am not suggesting that we jettison the code and fire the committers,
>> that would be pointy-haired.
>
>no but you are suggesting that the people who actually do the work no longer
>get to have a say in how they write code. Thats not pointy-haired at all!
>
>As soon as I see my first jakarta paycheck I will happily change over.

You are saying the individual first collectivity second. How about
collectivity first and the individual second?

>If it was a legitimate concern then maybe we could do something about
>it. About the only thing I can think of that we would want to change is
>when people use conventions like
>
>a_class_name anObject = ...;
>anObject.do_something();
>
>And that is mainly due to the fact that it effects people outside the project
>aswell.
>
>However I don't think any of the jakarta projects use those conventions and I
>am not going to be the one to force anyone to change if they do.

Again, my proposal required al least two thirds majority of jakarta
committers in order for the conventions to be adopted.  You nor I
alone, do we represent a two thirds majority.  However, a two thirds
majority represents the will of the community. If that is contested as
seems to be the case here, then the only remaining possibility is that
there is no community but a loose gathering of unruly individuals.

Regards, Ceki