[snip]

> > Many of the nightly builds for various subprojects are published
based
> on
> > what gump produces in the manner desired by the communities for
these
> > subprojects.  Many of these include in bundled form the jars
referenced
> by
> > the build.
> >

> But a nightly build isn't a release, right?  Wasn't this discussion
> motivated by Ted looking into getting projects to offer release build
jars
> alone w/o the whole source/docs distro to make for convenient
downlaod?

I would say it depends on the project and the meaning you give to the
word "release". For the Cactus project, a nightly build produces exactly
the same files as a "release" and can be used with a great deal of
confidence.  The only difference with a release is that a release has a
goal, i.e. we have voluntarily decided that when such and such features
are put in, then it would warrant a release.

I like to use GUMP for 2 purposes :
* Early detection of contentions with dependent projects,
* Automated builds/integration, leading to a daily "release" (in the
agile way). Users are encouraged to use the nightly builds and not wait
for releases.

It may be different for other projects though but I tend to like this
philosophy ... :-)

[snip]

-Vincent