On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 02:59, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2002, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I assume that ant is not made to take advantage of a multi-processor
> > box,
>
> Ant isn't doing too many things that could take advantage of multiple
> processors - it doesn't compile itself but uses your JDK's javac (you
> know that 8-) which won't take advantage of multiple processors for
> example.
>
> If there are things in your build process that can be done in
> parallel, you can use Ant's <parallel> task (Ant >= 1.4) and run them
> in parallel.  This should take advantage of multiple processors if
> your JVM uses native threads.
>
> If you put <javac> inside <parallel>, make sure you fork new processes
> though as Sun's javac code doesn't seem to be thread-safe.

Are there any solutions that would make a 4-way machine appear as a
machine with a single processor so that single threaded code can take
advantage of those extra processors transparently? I have a 4-way box
here that is sitting idle here @ zenplex and I may have access to 2
8-way machines but if running ant isn't going to be able to take
advantage of these machines (in some form, don't mind doing some work)
then I might as well run builds on my build box at home.

> Stefan
>
> --
jvz.

Jason van Zyl