If it means no more daily messages about object relational mapping tools
on this list...  then it has my full blessing!  I suggest an effort be
made to move all the connection pools and all that over there and start
thinking up some orthogonal organization scheme.  The committers there
should have a little more power to reject lame new OR mapping tools (the
90% of them) that show little promise and the standard "HI I'm company X
can I dump my junk here" should get the response it deserves.

So thats my opinion.

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 17:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I hate to interrupt all the good fun over standards, bike sheds, and general
> good community feelings,  but I would like to solicit community opinion on
> something unrelated to DVSL or Jon Stevens (both of which I like, btw...)
>
> Recently, it was proposed that ObjectBridge be brought to Jakarta as a
> subproject.
>
> Costin suggested, and I supported, that a subproject of wider scope be
> created to allow the collection of similar technologies into one larger
> subcommunity (that isn't an exact quote, but I think he'll agree in general
> with that.)
>
> The idea would be to bring in ObjectBridge, but create a Commons-like
> environment in which other projects can be brought.   Call it DB-Commons as
> a working name.
>
> There are some good reasons, including community alignment, inter-project
> synergy (there, I used the word in an Apache-related post), and ease of
> discovery for new users and developers.
>
> Off the top of my head, in Jakarta we have lots of db related tools already
> (Torque, commons-dbcp, and I am sure others...), and having a db-focused
> subproject in which they can be brought to with a lower barrier than
> 'fullsubproject' might be very benficial.
>
> We already have the successful Commons model to use as a starting point.
>
> Anyone have any comments?
>
> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr.
> Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.