I totally disagree with everything you just said.  I think "committer"
status should be granted to folks who do *other* things outside of CVS.
 But the key word is "Do".  So pretend for a second that Pier is *not
otherwise* a comitter to Tomcat and wherever, he does a lot of other
stuff like manage bugzilla.  And bugzilla...what a pain.  So I would say
Pier should be granted some voting rights etc.  I think thats the goal
here and I agree with to goal, but none of the proposals I've seen spell
out tight enough constraints.

I do NOT think developers should be granted CVS access without voting
rights.  Thats a cop out.  That says "Gee we trust you in CVS but don't
want to give you the rights to control your work or give you any
ownership in what you do".  If they are frequent enough committers to
require CVS access...then they deserve the rights there under.

-Andy