Andrew,

In one sentence, it "intends" to provide a framework for internationalization of Java
projects, within the Apache/Jakarta projects themselves and for users of the
Apache/Jakarta code outside Apache.

I had started out trying to see where I could make use of the Jakarta code, and
eliminate duplication of effort on my part.  But the one thing I ran into was most of
the Jakarta subprojects do not provide for internationalization, which is a shame,
because the Java SDK does quite a good job of providing support for that.  That might
actually be a good thing, since there currently is the opportunity to provide a
framework for doing it in one place, rather than having each subproject do it
differently.

Robert Simpson