On 12/5/03 2:45 AM, "Martin Poeschl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> So far it sounds to me like JCS is only used by Turbine and that only the
>> Turbiners really care about it.
>>
> it is indirectly used by turbine ... that's why the discussion started ...
> it is used by torque, ojb, hibernate, ....
> ok, they are all db related .. but i still do not think jcs is db related ..

I think Hibernate is switching to Jgroups anyhow.

>> Thus I don't see why it doesn't just get
>> flattened into Turbine and just consider it "one more turbine service".
>>

> please go to the jcs site and RTFM!!!!

Been there.  Thatıs why I asked the question.

> As far as oversight, who on the PMC is on this sub-sub-subproject?
>
> i am

So where do you want it to land?  Where do you feel it should go in the mean
time.

> we should only support sub-sub project if there is a strong relation to
> the sub-project ... e.g turbine-fulcrum (avalon components for turbine)

However, I regard that as more than likely just a component of Turbine.
More than likely the community is more or less the same.

>> -Andy
>>
>> * before it is mentioned, on POI we call POIFS and HSSF subprojects but
>> they're really just components.  They're called subprojects by tradition,
>> granted it is ambiguous but I'll leave language pedantry to RMS. ;-)
>>

> what is the definition of a sub-sub project??

Community/technical division.  The difference between POI and HTTPD only at
a lower level.  There aren't any shared committers between POI and HTTPD.
POI isn't required for HTTPD and HTTPD isn't required for POI and if POI
were housed as part of HTTPD or HTTPD part of POI it wouldn't make a great
deal of sense.  This is an exaggeration of course but you get the idea.

-Andy

> martin

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.