> I think continuing with the current attitude would only lead my company
> to reevaluate its involvement in ASF projects, and I could not really
> blame them if they did. Of course, this may be what some people here
> seek (hopefully, it is not and it's just my paranoia at work).

I am sure the community is thankful for the individual
contributions and therefor is also thankful for the
companies letting their employees spend time for working
on Apache projects. But...

Usually companies don't let their employees spend
so much time (and therefor money) just for the good
of mankind. Usually they have an interest in fixing
certain things because they want to benefit from a
product being developed and maintained by a large
number of developers they *don't* have to pay.

As a matter of fact we have quite some committers
in our community that are sponsored by the companies
they are working for. Who is able to define whether
who is the "leading" or "main" contributor? I would
not want to risk picking the wrong one and pissing
off other contributors. So either name them all or
drop this classification. Terms like "main" or "leading"
are a problem.

Naming them all for such an award is very inappropriate
IMO. No problem listing all the companies that contribute
to a certain project somewhere. A contributors file ...or
even on the website. But refering to JBoss as the main
contributor is not in the spirit of the community IMO.
So that's why we should ask for the change.

Assuming JBoss will respect the community this
should be no problem at all ...and be no reason
to "reevaluate the involvement".

cheers
--
Torsten