I'm not convinced that you
have a different issue here, why would you try to install the war
yourself? Karaf does it, or better Pax-Web does it if it's a
osgi-fied war if it's a non-osgi war just add a webbundle: url-handler
before the mvn: url-handler
e.g.

<bundle>webbundle:mvn:org.planner/wab-sample/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/war?webapp-context=planner</bundle>

regards, Achim