I would recommend to use Apache Tika if you need to extract text from files
of different types.  Going to PdfBox or POI is required if you need to dig
into internals of these file formats, but if you only need text, then Tika
will be easier choice...

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/