On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 01:51:25AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> ``Posted:``
>   Date of posting, in ``dd-mmm-yyyy`` format (e.g. 14-Aug-2001).
>   Mandatory.

Don't have a good arguement as to why it should be added, but utc
time seems like it should be included.

<snip>

> ``Display-If-Installed:``
>     A dependency atom or simple package name (for example,
>     ``<dev-lang/php-5_alpha`` or ``net-www/apache``). If the user has the
>     package specified installed, the news item should be displayed.

You're going to run into issues with slotmoves for longterm...

I'd personally rather the translation/updating of the atoms specified
for this field does *not* occur in portage clientside, iow it's
handled server side.

> ``Display-If-Keyword:``
>     A keyword [#glep-22]_ name, for example ``mips``. If the user is on
>     the arch in question, the news item should be displayed.
>
> TODO: Display-If-USE for USE flag renames?
>
> TODO: Display-If-Mode: ``any`` or ``all`` or ``none`` with ``any`` being
> the default?

TODO: Display-If-Profile: ?

I'd like to kill off the deprecated profile file someday...

> News Item Display
> -----------------
>
> Whenever relevant unread news items are found, ``emerge`` will copy the
> news file into ``/var/lib/gentoo/news/``.

Expand this to address N repo's all delivering their own news
please...

Any reason this must be moved locally?  Why not just track some id
from the news article locally, instead of copying it?

Yes this makes things a bit more funky for reading tools... but imo,
the duplication is a bit wasteful.  Not a huge issue, but worth
considering imo.

~harring