maillog: 01/11/2005-11:45:08(+0100): Jakub Moc types
> 1.11.2005, 11:00:22, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>
> > Aren't those messages displayed after the damage is done ? Typical use :
>
> > - emerge --sync run as a daily cron job
> > - emerge -a mysql
> > - great, a new version is there. Typing "Yes"
> > - system gets borken
> > - emerge spits out message saying 14 files need updating and there is 1
> > unread news item
>
> > I'm probably missing something here. Please elaborate on how this GLEP
> > meets the "Preemptive" design goal...
>

> I'm probably missing something obvious here, because I can't see why
> *existing*
> emerge --changelog code cannot be recycled for this feature to display upgrade
> messages when running emerge -uDav world...

That reminds me of the idea to stick tags in the ChangeLog:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.gentoo.dev/msg/8f2dc84619be5c5b?fwc=1

But still, I'm guessing the idea of "--news" is to tell people that they
need to do something A.S.A.P. This means as soon as the news are
obtained, and the users are nagged about the news on *every invocation
of emerge*, similar to the /etc messages, and not only when they decide
to install some package, which is when --changelog kicks in.

And then, I am not sure why glsa-check cannot do the same job...

--
()   Georgi Georgiev   () Computers are unreliable, but humans are   ()
()    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    () even more unreliable. Any system which     ()