On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:29:10 +0200
"Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 19:10, Joshua Jackson wrote:
> > I don't want to go down the path again of having two nearly
> > identical flags for a different slotted version of a framework. I'd
> > like to see just qt with a maintainer deciding if its going to be
> > qt3 or qt4.
> Unfeasible. GTK 1.2 was deprecated when the two flags were merged,
> Qt3 is all but deprecated right now. If you decide to use just one
> version of qt, it would be qt3 for all, and a mess when KDE 4 will
> come out, we can't think of NOT having time for the change from 3.x
> to 4.
>
> Also, gtk and gtk2 flags did NOT work as I asked, gtk2 was to enable
> gtk2 version when both a 1.2 and 2 version was available, so for
> instance ethereal +gtk -gtk2 built gtk 1.2, and -gtk +gtk2 built
> NOTHING. What I'm asking is for qt3 enable the qt3 version, qt4 the
> qt4 version, qt3 and qt4 both if possible (that is usually the case
> for stuff that has both version available, as one does not obsolete
> the other right now).

I don't mind the qt3/qt4 flags for packages that support both, but could
we also have a qt flag that selects the "preferred" version (or for
packages that only support one)? Many people simply don't care about the
version but also don't need support for both in every package, also
that makes transition easier IMHO.
Though that creates a problem when both the unversioned and one of the
versioned flags are used, not sure how to deal with that.

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.