Marius Mauch wrote:
I don't mind the qt3/qt4 flags for packages that support both, but could
we also have a qt flag that selects the "preferred" version (or for
packages that only support one)? Many people simply don't care about the
version but also don't need support for both in every package, also
that makes transition easier IMHO.
Though that creates a problem when both the unversioned and one of the
versioned flags are used, not sure how to deal with that.
That gives me an idea, and if this has been suggested before, just ignore me -- I'm new here. :)

What about having a variable in make.conf, something like USE_QT_VERSIONS, where you could put the preferred Qt versions that you'd like support built for?

So, for example, if I wanted Qt3 and Qt4 support, I'd put USE_QT_VERSIONS="3 4" in make.conf. If I wanted one and not the other, just put in "3" or "4" instead.

That way, you could still keep just one "qt" USE flag.

Steve