Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> The gentoo devs currently do much of the upstream's work.
> Fixing bugs or even adding new stuff which does not directly have to
> do w/ gentoo should be done exlusively by the upstream.

Not true at all.

We (as developers) won't be able to avoid helping upstream (it is
actually in our social contract). For example, we have dealt with
packages inside our herd where we are able to reproduce and detect a bug
before upstream does; or even found a "better" way of doing something,
and upstream (lucky for us) has always been happy of receiving our
suggestions/fixes , included even patches.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with this, i see it actually
as one of the goal of gentoo.

> For an oss-qm + gentoo connection I imagine the following workflow:
> (should also work w/ other distros this way)
>
> * gentoo user files an bug -> gets assigned to the devs.
> * dev inspects the bug whether its gentoo-specific or general
>   @ general:
>      * dev pushes the bug to oss-qm (files a bug there),
>      * oss-qm tries to solve this bug and releases a new hotfix
>      * the gentoo dev then takes in the hotfix and gives the
>        patched package into the QM cycle.
>
>   @ gentoo:
>      * works as currently
>
> As for the suggested user contribution:
>
> The users willing to contribute simply join the oss-qm team and do
> their works there. This at least would cope evrything that's not
> gentoo specific. What remains to gentoo would be just the contents
> of the ebuild file (ie. useflags and dependencies okay, etc).

I fail to see a border line between what you call 'gentoo specific'
problems, and upstream problems. Really, it is not _that_ simple.

Also, i don't see how this might be an alternative to my current proposal.

- --

Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
Gentoo Linux