On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 21:27:31 +0200, Robert Cernansky wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:26:31 -0400 Luis Francisco Araujo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Robert Cernansky wrote:
> > > Oh, if I can speak for me as a user I'll not like it. One of the
> > > major advantage of Gentoo is easy maintenace (not mindless, but
> > > easy if you know what you are doing) thanks to portage
> > > system. Another is availability of large number of software in
> > > distribution. These two together gives easily maintanable
> > > operating system - because of portage and because I do not need to
> > > maintain lot of packages by myself.
> >
> > I don't know what it is your point here. But i guess, yes, as an
> > user you shouldn't be worried about it. This is just another way for
> > cooperating with the project for those interested in doing so.
>
> I just understand it so, that if a user submits a new ebuild he has to
> in fact maintain it. So overall maintenance time required by his
> operating system will be pretty high. Because besides the
> 'emerge --sync' and 'emerge -u world', he needs take care of "his"
> ebuilds.

I think you misunderstood luis' proposition. Everything would go on as
now, including users submitting ebuilds on bugzilla and not
"maintainaing" them anymore, but there would also be the solution of
asking to do more and being a
user_maintaining_an_ebuild_through_a_proxy_dev. If you don't want to do
that or don't have the time, and I expect it will be the case of 99.9%
of the users, it's fine. This project is only here for the remaining 0.1 %.

/Alexandre
--
Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Please copy me in your ~/.signature.