On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:26:31 -0400 Luis Francisco Araujo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Robert Cernansky wrote:
> > Oh, if I can speak for me as a user I'll not like it. One of the
> > major advantage of Gentoo is easy maintenace (not mindless, but
> > easy if you know what you are doing) thanks to portage
> > system. Another is availability of large number of software in
> > distribution. These two together gives easily maintanable
> > operating system - because of portage and because I do not need to
> > maintain lot of packages by myself.
>
> I don't know what it is your point here. But i guess, yes, as an
> user you shouldn't be worried about it. This is just another way for
> cooperating with the project for those interested in doing so.

I just understand it so, that if a user submits a new ebuild he has to
in fact maintain it. So overall maintenance time required by his
operating system will be pretty high. Because besides the
'emerge --sync' and 'emerge -u world', he needs take care of "his"
ebuilds.

In that paragraph I'm saying that Gentoo have lot of packages so there
is a little chance that users have to maintain some packages by
themselves (outside the portage tree). But this will break if users
have to maintain ebuilds which they submit.

> > thanks for this). If I have to take care of package + ebuild +
> > dependencies, I'll rather choose not to make an ebulid but compile
> > package right from .tar.gz archive.
>
> Dependencies are not 'magically' solved. Somebody needs to initially
> takes care of them.

Yes, _initially_. This is what I agree with. That the points that you
propose will be applied only for initial import of ebuild. Until the
ebuild gets to portage tree. Then the developers take care of it. Of
course the note/recommendation can exist that user who submitted an
ebuild will help to maintain it also in future. But if not, (if the
user is mostly only a _user_ for whatever reason) the package will be
still maintained by developers.

Robert

--
Robert Cernansky