On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 00:55 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
> Mike Doty wrote:
> > We're going to change the -dev mailing list from completely open to where
> > only devs can post,
>
> Restricting freedom to post is like setting up surveilance and censorship
> against terrorism.

No, it is nothing like it.  Removing the right to speak, which is
granted solely and absolutely by Gentoo, is nothing like surveillance
and censorship on citizens of a country that explicitly allows free
speech.

> I hate it when the "rulers" think they can impose such decisions upon the
> people and do not see how they obviously impact their freedom.

What "freedom" are you talking about?  This is Gentoo, not some
fictional country.  The only "rights" people are given with regards to
Gentoo are the rights given to them by the licenses under which our
software is distributed and the rules under which we govern ourselves.
We have *no* rule *anywhere* guaranteeing freedom of speech to *anyone*
and shouldn't be compared to a country's laws which explicitly *does*
grant that right.  Remember that we do *not* grant free speech.  The
freedom to speak on official Gentoo media is a privilege, not a right,
and it is a privilege that can be revoked.

> If it is only against a single User who has done something bad, but against
> all users in general, you are crazy ..

Yes, because rules should never be enforced in a fair and equal manner
against everyone.  Instead, they should have special cases and be
enforced differently for each person.  Even better would be to allow the
rich or popular to completely circumvent any rules put in place.  That
makes so much more sense than writing out a simple set of rules or
guidelines and applying them unilaterally.  Call me crazy, but... oh
wait, you did.  Nevermind... ;]

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead