Chris Gianelloni wrote:
On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 13:14 +1000, Will Briggs wrote:
Oh dear.  "slight delay" in an email list forum?  That's like saying
"you can take part in this face-to-face conversation but you have to
wait 30 seconds before you can say anything"  In effect you reduce that
person to an on-looker who can throw in the occassional comment.  The
comments themselves are reduced in their relevance or impact because by
the time they are heard, the conversation has moved on.

On a mailing list?

We're not talking IRC here.  We're talking mailing lists.

I can take a nap, a full 8 hour sleep, or many times even take the
WEEKEND OFF FROM GENTOO and still manage to come back and give useful
input.  Email isn't exactly instant and nobody who runs a mail server
will even pretend that it is.  Adding a, say, 3 hour delay between
posting and the timeout, doesn't seem to me like it would affect much of
anything.  After all, I managed to not touch my email since Friday and I
am still managing to participate in this conversation.

This is going to crash and burn but wouldn't it be an ideal job description for the proctors? Instead of telling people off they could just stop people posting. That way you dont even get to know that they are even there.

Seeing as most of them are forum mods there could even be a "why was I blocked?" thread in Feedback...

Their decision to forward emails to a -politics (or whatever it was) ML would be a great one