On Friday 21 September 2007, Duncan wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Thu, 20 Sep
>
> 2007 12:34:41 -0400:
> > we know that someone taking a stage3 has never configured anything
> > before and so we can safely put defaults into /root/.
>
> Just to point out... I've seen people mention overlaying a stage-3 on an
> existing installation for recovery reasons, generally broken gcc or (on
> amd64) switching back to multilib from 64-bit only profiles, so it
> /cannot/ be rightly assumed that there's not an existing configuration
> in /root/.  (Whether that's the right way to accomplish such recovery
> isn't the point; the point is, it's done, by people desperate to get a
> working system once again who know no other way to do it.)

there's a ton of other files that'd get blown away (like everything
in /etc) ... anyone who blindly unpacks a stage3 onto their system gets what
they deserve in my eyes

> Chris's idea of testing both USE=build *AND* that there's no existing
> file there that's going to get blown away, sounds reasonable, regardless
> of the debate over where the code is eventually placed.

except that doesnt address the "issue" you raised above at all ... the files
are going into /root/ ... how they get there is the subject of the debate
-mike