On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 04:23 +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Just to point out... I've seen people mention overlaying a stage-3 on an
> existing installation for recovery reasons, generally broken gcc or (on
> amd64) switching back to multilib from 64-bit only profiles, so it
> /cannot/ be rightly assumed that there's not an existing configuration
> in /root/.  (Whether that's the right way to accomplish such recovery
> isn't the point; the point is, it's done, by people desperate to get a
> working system once again who know no other way to do it.)

Anyone doing anything like this deserves all the suck that comes with
it.  If some file gets overwritten on their system, so be it.  It's not
our job to hand hold when people are doing things that are pretty stupid
to begin with when anyone with sense would be sure to --exclude things
they know they won't want (like /root)... ;]

> Chris's idea of testing both USE=build *AND* that there's no existing
> file there that's going to get blown away, sounds reasonable, regardless
> of the debate over where the code is eventually placed.

Thanks, but if the maintainers don't want to do it, there's not much we
can do about it.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead