Piotr Jaroszyński <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sat, 22 Dec 2007
16:43:10 +0100:

> Abstract
> ========
>
> This GLEP proposes usage of EAPI-suffixed file extensions for ebuilds
> (for example, foo-1.2.3.ebuild-1).

This one does seem a marked improvement.  Thanks.  It really is
noticeably better. =8^)

> Specification
> =============

I made this suggestion earlier but it was deep in a subthread and perhaps
missed.  Else, maybe it didn't reach you in time for this update.
Anyway, here it is again:

Right at this point, between the Specification header and the existing
"Let's call"... below, for clarity I believe we need a formal syntax
note, probably similar in format to the the one found in many manpages,
where it is called "Synopsis".  Checking other GLEPs, I don't see
anything like this in most, but I do believe it /would/ help clarify and
is thus worth it.  Like the following (I'm omitting the RST stuff):

Syntax:

<PF>.ebuild[-<EAPI>]

Where:

<PF> is the full package name, version, and revision, as in man 5 ebuild.

-<EAPI> is optional.

<EAPI> is the named EAPI.

Explanation:

> Let's call the EAPI included in the ebuild filename the pre-source EAPI,
> and the EAPI set inside the ebuild the post-source EAPI. Given these
> two, the final EAPI used by the ebuild can be established by following
> these steps:

It may also be worthwhile to specifically note /somewhere/ that this only
specifies *.ebuild* format, thus leaving other forms (say xbuild) for
further changes, if it should ever be decided necessary.

Combined, these two changes would have significantly reduced my initial
confusion upon reading the GLEP, thus leading to a false impression and
raising objections to the idea that didn't apply, once I understood more
clearly what, specifically, was being proposed.