On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:00:55 +0200
Carsten Lohrke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Afaik it has always been the way that *sane* LDFLAGS are to be
> respected, but exceptions exist of course and it's up to the
> maintainer to mangle or clear your LDFLAGS, if deemed necessary. I'd
> like to know, why Mark asked to bring this question up here.
> Shouldn't this be common sense!?

The way it is currently: Packages ignoring CFLAGS without a *very* good
reason (and 'upstream thinks they know better' is rarely a very good
reason, especially when upstream supposedly knowing better leads to v7
builds on v9 systems) need to be fixed. Packages ignoring LDFLAGS can
be fixed if the maintainer feels like it, but there's no requirement to
do so and filing bugs about it is frowned upon.

Until recently, LDFLAGS have been put in the "anyone using these is a
ricer" category. Unfortunately, the misguided promotion of 'as-needed'
despite its massive design flaws has lead people to think that setting
LDFLAGS is in some way useful or cool. I expect next someone will try
to find a way to force 'ASFLAGS' onto everyone...

--
Ciaran McCreesh