Duncan wrote:

> Tobias Klausmann <klaus...@gentoo.org> posted
>> I was under the impression that it's illegal to change/set the EAPI
>> after using inherit.
>
> The short answer, based on my understanding of posts to this point, would
> be that it's illegal for Gentoo (in-tree, council decided), but not
> necessarily for all the overlays and Gentoo based projects out there.
>
> On the one hand, as a result of the above, Gentoo doesn't have to concern
> itself with the others and can decide what's best for the Gentoo tree and
> dev-sponsored overlays presumably targeted at eventual tree inclusion.
> On the other, regardless of what Gentoo decides, PMs wishing widest
> compatibility must be prepared for it anyway.  If I'm not mistaken,
> paludis has the widest deployment footprint both in practice and by goal
> at this point, so naturally, those developing it have broader concerns
> than just Gentoo.

Well is it okay for the Gentoo developer list to be focussed firstly on
Gentoo product and solving the real issues people actually face as opposed
to non-issues like typing in a version specifier?

Further, if there is a valid use-case for setting EAPI after inherit, could
you (or someone else) explain what it is and why Gentoo, or indeed anyone
working on a Gentoo-based product, should care? ATM it looks like a classic
case of obfuscation; it's frankly well below par to post code that isn't
allowed and then claim it as a use-case requiring such massive changes.

I'd ask you also to consider prefix-portage when you assess the "deployment
footprint" (however you're coming to that conclusion.)
--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)