On 2009.06.28 10:00, Tiziano Müller wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 26.06.2009, 07:15 -0600 schrieb Denis Dupeyron:
> > On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Ben de Groot<yng...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > > To appoint as proxy for a council meeting someone who has been
> booted
> > > from Gentoo is a clear lapse of judgement, and would in my eyes
> > > disqualify the involved council member from functioning in that
> position.
> >
> > As Petteri noted it's not obvious that GLEP39 disallows choosing a
> > non-dev as proxy for a council meeting. I haven't talked to
> Tiziano,
> > and I don't know what he had in mind when he chose ciaranm as his
> > proxy, but I'd be ready to believe part of it was that he wanted to
> > experiment.
> Well, it was surely not an experiment to see whether someone must be
> dev or not to be a proxy. Based on GLEP 39 it was fairly clear to me
> this must not be the case and I at least expected the council to
> accept
> him (or any other non-dev) at least for that meeting.

[snip]
> --
> Tiziano Müller
> Gentoo Linux Developer, Council Member
> Areas of responsibility:
>   Samba, PostgreSQL, CPP, Python, sysadmin, GLEP Editor
> E-Mail   : dev-z...@gentoo.org
> GnuPG FP : F327 283A E769 2E36 18D5  4DE2 1B05 6A63 AE9C 1E30

Its my opinion that the concept of proxies in council meetings is
fatally flawed.

1. The brief (if any) that the proxy is given by the council member
being proxied is never made public.

2. Its never clear if the proxy is voting as instructed by the council
member or as they see fit at the time.

What if an entire meeting and therefore any votes were staffed by
entirely by non gentoo developer proxies?
Unlikely, but perfectly possible under GLEP39. Would Gentoo feel bound
by decisions that such a meeting reached?

Oh. Don't talk about 'common sense' GLEP39 does not mention it, so it
doesn't count ... and its much rarer than you may think.

Lastly, as a trustee and partly legally responsible for decisions made
on behalf of Gentoo, I am uneasy with the concept of non developers
making those decisions. Now reread my 'what if' above with that
liability in mind.

Note: Other trustees may have a different view of the world

- --
Regards,

Roy Bamford
(NeddySeagoon) a member of