On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:00:00 -0500
> Matt Turner <matts...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
>> architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
>> before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
>> gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
>> and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
>> requests it?
>
> I'd work on getting it ~mips before you think about stabilizing. ;)  Last
> report I got it doesn't build.

I've been using gcc-4.5.1 for the last two weeks or so. :)

Should I add a ~mips keyword?

> What's your target hardware for stabilization?  Are we still focusing on SGI
> stuff or moving on to newer platforms?

SGI stuff is going to become less and less interesting, but it's still
the most common MIPS hardware Gentoo users have [1].
STMicroelectronics MIPS systems (Lemote, Gdium, etc) are becoming more
common, and we should definitely do a better job supporting them. (I
should mention that I've been loaned a Yeelong by Daniel Clark, of
freedomincluded.com, to fix up the siliconmotion driver.)

I think we can reasonably support both. The Broadcom board I have can
with the switch of a jumper operate in big or little-endian mode, so I
can use it for both.

Matt

[1]
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-mips/msg_65e25b7dae79f7b897ed59199919a2a2.xml