On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 01:50:25PM -0500, Olivier Crête wrote:
> I don't see what breakage would be caused by a big-bang update (move
> everything in /sbin,/bin/,usr/sbin to usr/bin and add symlinks. I really
> doubt any system has a /usr so tight that adding the couple things that
> are in / to /usr/bin would break it.. Btw, this also includes /lib*
> to /usr/lib*.

I think the best way to do this part of it is going to be to just follow
the upstream packages. When they release a new version that installs in
/usr, just allow that to happen. Eventually there will be very little in
/{bin,sbin,lib}, maybe nothing  besides a couple of symbolic links like
/bin/sh.

I am not for what fedora is doing with the
/bin->/usr/bin, /sbin->/usr/sbin and /lib->/usr/lib symlinks.

William