On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 17:09:18 -0600
William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 10:22:15PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > > I'll have to go through on my system at
> > > least and find all of the ebuilds that install things in
> > > /{bin,sbin,lib}. I'll open a tracker bug as soon as udev-176  is
> > > released; this will list all of the things we need to do to
> > > complete the migration.
> >
> > I would suggest not to do this.  It's more interesting to know what
> > udev really requires to be in /usr/bin.
>
> The issues involve binaries in /{bin,sbin} that link to libraries in
> /usr/lib as well as packages that install udev rules that run
> binaries.
>

> > > Basically I have these in my head:
> > >
> > > * mask udev-176 in the tree.
> > > * figure out and document how to make a simple initramfs with
> > > dracut.
> > > * unmask udev 176 making sure to point users with a separate /usr
> > >   partition to how to make an initramfs (I could probably do this
> > > with ewarns in the ebuild and maybe a news item before we go
> > > stable).
> > >   * stabilize a version of dracut.
> > > * stabilize >=udev-176 and kmod.
>
> The part of the process above is the part I am the most concerned
> about. I think we need to get everyone who is using separate /usr
> switched over to an initramfs with udev 176, and this needs to happen
> sooner than later, without using things like wrapper scripts or ways
> to avoid the initramfs. Those are just stop-gap options that will
> only work until some package they are depending on migrates to /usr.
>
> Once we get to this point in the process, I think we could take each
> package that installs things in / individually and migrate it. But, I
> think the part of the process listed above needs to happen sooner than
> later.
>
> What are your thoughts?

I agree. Especially with the last part.

Thus, we need to:

1) fix and stabilize packages necessary to create an initramfs,
2) prepare really good instructions for creating one,
3) prepare a news item for users.

For the case of really simple initramfs mounting / and /usr only, I can
even create a small tool on klibc if anyone's interested.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny