On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Albert W. Hopkins
<mar...@letterboxes.org> wrote:
> There are kernel-dependent packages that (seem to) always look for
> configuration options, symbols, etc. in /usr/src/linux.  When you use O=
> then those features do not exist in /usr/src/linux and thus those
> packages will fail.  So I have basically abandoned using O=.

Try setting KBUILD_OUTPUT in /etc/make.conf — it will be used by
linux-info.eclass (and linux-mod.eclass) automatically, so most kernel
module-compiling ebuilds will do the right thing. There are
exceptions, such as the VirtualBox packages above, which want access
to the build tree outside module compilation for whatever reason, but
I already found a fix for that specific problem
(--with-linux=${KV_OUT_DIR}), so count me as a fan of O=.

You can also apparently set KERNEL_DIR to something other than
/usr/src/linux, but with "eselect kernel" available, this variable is
probably best left alone.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte