On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 02:49 +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Actually the directories do not need write permissions either. Take a
> > look at the O= option documented in /usr/src/linux/README.
>
> The KBUILD_OUTPUT / O= option seems like the best solution to me
> (especially so as I build three kernel images from a single sources
> tree), and it works well, except that it sometimes doesn't with
> especially monstrous and hard to configure packages such as
> virtualbox-guest-additions — see bug #424816.

I've experimented with O= in the past.  It seems like a good solution,
however...

There are kernel-dependent packages that (seem to) always look for
configuration options, symbols, etc. in /usr/src/linux.  When you use O=
then those features do not exist in /usr/src/linux and thus those
packages will fail.  So I have basically abandoned using O=.

Might it be better if you could tell portage to look for kernel builds
in another location than /usr/src/linux. Perhaps you can already and I'm
not aware.  If not, then this just be a lot of work and perhaps the
benefits do not outweigh the effort involved?

Anyway, just something to think about.

-a