On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Maxim Kammerer <m...@dee.su> wrote:
> The KBUILD_OUTPUT / O= option seems like the best solution to me
> (especially so as I build three kernel images from a single sources
> tree), and it works well, except that it sometimes doesn't with
> especially monstrous and hard to configure packages such as
> virtualbox-guest-additions — see bug #424816.

>From a compatibility and simplicity standpoint simply making the
directory group-writable seems like the simplest solution.  However,
the group should be something dedicated - not users.

While I can see how build system bugs might be bad when running as
root, you have to keep in mind that chances are that once you're done
with building the kernel you're going to execute it in ring-0.  When
you run make modules_install that is also going to need to run as root
and it could clobber things as well.  About the only really "safe"
approach would be to run as a limited user, install it into some
offset/chroot, package it, and then install it using portage as a
binpkg.  That actually has advantages on many levels, and it basically
is what we do with everything else.

Rich