On 07/04/2012 07:58 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Maxim Kammerer <m...@dee.su> wrote:
>> The KBUILD_OUTPUT / O= option seems like the best solution to me
>> (especially so as I build three kernel images from a single sources
>> tree), and it works well, except that it sometimes doesn't with
>> especially monstrous and hard to configure packages such as
>> virtualbox-guest-additions — see bug #424816.
>
> From a compatibility and simplicity standpoint simply making the
> directory group-writable seems like the simplest solution.  However,
> the group should be something dedicated - not users.

A similar problem occurs in sys-freebsd/virtio-kmod. The ebuild works
around it by copying all of the files into the build directory like what
FreeBSD Ports does. We were able to improve on that by only copying the
files that were needed and using hard links whenever possible. It should
be possible to do the same here.