Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:33:55 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Doug Goldstein <car...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> I could MAYBE understand it if they're consuming some valuable resource
>> that we need to free up by retiring them. But instead they get a
>> nasty-gram about their impending retirement and decide if that's how
>> they are to be treated that they can be retired.
>
> Could anybody post the text of one of these "nasty grams?"
>
> I can understand the sense in just checking in to make sure a developer
> still is interested in Gentoo and wants to retain cvs access.  However,
> I think the bar for keeping access should be kept low - they shouldn't
> be forced to go find some trivial change to make just to get their name
> in the logs.
>
> Sure, sometimes real life gets busy, but if a dev still runs Gentoo and
> has interest they're fairly likely to return when life settles down.

Obviously I can't post the text of one of these "nasty grams", but I was
around when the idea was first discussed and then implemented, by
undertakers and infra, with the blessing of either council or whatever it
was that came before (I was young in gentoo back then and didn't have a
clear understanding of how it all worked, but when I started, drobbins
was still around, but in the process of setting up the foundation and etc
so he could leave gentoo in good shape when he did retire, and IIRC/
AFAIK, he had turned things over to some sort of interrim executive
committee... and I don't recall whether the events here predated what we
call council today, or not).

You're essentially correct, Rich.  IIRC (and all this based on my
possibly inaccurate understanding), at least one of the initial triggers
was infra's concern, I believe after some other distro had a headline
breakin when an inactive dev had their system penetrated and their
credentials stolen, that the at-the-time-something like 500+ devs on the
rolls, with something under 300 having any CVS or list activity at all
within the last six months or some such (so about half were even
minimally "active", this was of course before overlays became in any way
widespread or more than personal overlays, tho some devs did make theirs
publicly available), wasn't healthy, and was taking too much risk, due to
the number of still active but potentially abandoned credentials out
there, possibly free for the taking, with the credentialed no longer
active, so they'd not even notice the activity in their name, that they
hadn't done!

The other primary concern was QA related, all those effectively abandoned
packages could now be put up for adoption by new maintainers or for
maintainer-needed or treecleaning, as appropriate based on open bug
count, etc.

As it was originally setup, the idea was that anybody without an away
file explaining the situation, that hadn't had sufficient activity (CVS
or list, I believe two commits or posts was to be considered sufficiently
active) for at least (I believe) 90 days, would get an inquiry note from
undertakers.  That level of the process was supposed to be mostly
scripted, a script was to be run periodically that would check for away
files, cvs commits, and list posts, and would generate a list of inactive
devs and the notices automatically, altho I THINK actually SENDING the
notices might have required undertaker action, in which case the human
doing that was supposed to review them for sanity.

The idea was *NOT* that it would be a "nastygram", simply a note of
concern, asking what was going on and if the dev was still interested in
gentoo, or if they wanted to retire.  Again, the primary interest, as
best I know, was security.  All those potentially unsupervised access
credentials laying around for the taking, should someone get access to
the inactive dev's computers, etc.

If they were still interested, at the first level (which was IIRC 90
days), all they had to do was reply, saying so.  *ONLY*, and this was a
point that everyone took pains to ensure was specifically made, if people
didn't reply (or replied that they were no longer interested in gentoo),
were they ultimately retired.

** It's also worth pointing out that a simple away file listing something
reasonable (that wasn't itself expired by this much time, but that bit
wasn't automated, the automated script simply checked for an away file,
period) would immediately shut down the process.

I believe there was a second level that actually triggered the beginning
of the undertaker process, at the 180 day (probably plus 30 days to give
a last chance for a reply, which would have made it 210 days total, but
I'm not positive on that).  By this point, the thinking went, a dev
really SHOULD have had at LEAST the time to setup an away file, or simply
reply with an explanation so they could be entered in an ignore list, if
they weren't already active once again.

But, the argument went, anybody that couldn't post AT LEAST two messages
or do two commits in six months (I believe the magic number was two)...
arguably was likely not following gentoo closely enough any more to be
sure their commits, if they DID make any, weren't more of a danger to the
now moved on tree than a help, in any case.

AFAIK the policy was a bit controversial even then, but nobody could
really refute the argument, particularly given the other distros breakins
in the headlines due to the exploitation of still-active credentials for
year-inactive devs.

And IIRC it DID allow gentoo to bring its headcount down to something a
bit more in line with the active dev count.  Plus, with the retirement of
those devs, the packages they maintained that had been effectively
abandoned, were now actually announced for adoption and if there were no
takers, they were marked maintainer-needed and/or tree-cleaned as
appropriate.  That in turn helped clean up the tree rather noticeably in
the initial six to eight months after the policy went into effect, as
well.

Meanwhile, it didn't hurt activity measurably at all.  Because if people
WERE still interested, they could easily show it, by simply replying and/
or setting an appropriate away, or by taking the encouragement to up
their activity level just a bit.

But, as I said, that was well before overlays.gentoo.org and layman.
Even if the original policy is still considered sound in general, it
should arguably be updated (along with the scripts that do the checks) to
include at least the main project overlays.  OTOH, an argument could
equally be made that those aren't actual contributions to THE GENTOO
TREE, and that in many/most cases, gentoo developer credentials aren't
actually necessary for the main project overlays, in any case, so if
that's where a dev's activity is, and they can't make at least the
minimum main tree commits OR list posts, then the original argument still
applies.

So the overlays policy could be debated either way, but it DOES need to
be discussed, and the general inactivity retirement policy should be
updated to reflect the actual decision, whatever it may be.

And... perhaps that policy in general needs a reexamination.

Regardless, it's possible that the "nastygrams" aren't worded
particularly well, and that they could be worded better, even if the
policy is retained.  However, that's hard to say, without a hard example
of such a "nastygram" posted.